Mexican Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks/ 8oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 medium egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. kosher salt
4 oz. Rainbow sprinkles (nonpareils)
Makes 16 to 32 cookies (depending on size)
Preheat Oven to 350F
· Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, and pale yellow in color (almost white), about 10-15 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue whipping until fully incorporated, about 3-5 minutes.
· In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients in two parts to wet ingredients and beat on medium using a paddle attachment or using a spatula, scraping down sides to ensure everything is incorporated.
· Portion out cookies into small 1-2 tablespoon balls. Dipping only one half into sprinkles. Place cookies on sheet with sprinkles facing up about 2” apart.
· Using a flat spatula or coffee mug, press down on cookies to create rounded circles. Each cookie should be about 1/4 inch thick. DO NOT MAKE TOO THIN. Add more sprinkles as needed.
· Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
· Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet before moving, about 15 minutes.
· Allow cookies to cool completely before serving! Enjoy!